This FORUM page is the space on which the LIST of AGREED UNIVERSAL HUMAN DUTIES (LAUHD) will come into being. Here the views and the experience of HDN members can be exchanged, clearly and concisely, to eventually arrive at an agreed text that describes the duties every human being should observe in order to fulfil Mankind’s guardian role on planet Earth.
Those duties vary considerably in nature and scope. Some are millennia old maxims, others are modern, but all reflect the view of present day’s Mankind. The continuous change in the composition of the network will ensure that this view is kept up to date.
The first entry on the forum consists of a draft list grouped in four categories, representing the four positions that a human being occupies vis-à-vis Mankind’s overall duty as the planet’s guardian.
Draft List of Universal Human Duties
A – EXISTENTIAL (continuity of homo sapiens)
- The parents of a child, a new human being, are obliged to protect this child, to take care of it and accompany it to its independence.
- People who are unable, or less able to maintain their independence must be assisted and supported by their fellow-humans.
B – INDIVIDUAL (endowment of reason and conscience; self control)
- Every human being is unique in its ability to reflect and to choose. It is her or his duty to develop and maintain the qualities that it is born with, and thus deserve the respect of its fellow-humans.
- Every human being should be prepared to account for her or his actions.
- The human brain is the seat of its reason and conscience. Its functioning should not be impaired by non-judicious consumption of alcohol and drugs.
C – MUTUAL (Golden Rule; Fair Play)
- A human being should treat others as it wishes to be treated by them.
- When people compete pursuing the same goal, they must respect the rules that apply in a spirit of ‘fair play’.
D – ENVIRONMENTAL (Mankind’s habitat, planet Earth)
- A basic assumption of all human thinking and acting must be: recognizing Life in all its manifestations. Life must be dealt with consciously and judisciously.
- Every human being should be aware of the deterioration of planet Earth at the hands of Mankind, and should do its utmost to reverse the trend.